Monday, February 16, 2009

The Lithuanian Act Of Independence

It’s Independence Day in Baltic Lithuania.
The yellow green and red is flying high all over town.
Today’s drive southwest to the manor house at Traku Voke
is with a new unit-driver. One I’ve not ridden with before.
He has a face like a bag of fresh turnips and he’s not wearing a seatbelt.
I tell him I’m here to film a new version of ‘Frankenstein’.
I tell him it’s a take on the true story which helped
inspire Mary Shelly to write the original gothic novel.
I point out that I’m playing the role of The Doctor, not The Monster.
It’s important, I feel, to make that distinction clear at the outset.
“Doctor Frankenstein was Lithuanian you know”, says the driver.
“Really?” I reply. Knowing full well that he was actually from Switzerland.
I don’t mention Peter Cushing. I don’t bring up Boris Karloff.
I say that in our version, Doctor Frankenstein is Italian;
a physicist called Giovanni Aldini, who came to England in
1802 to perform theatrically spectacular galvanic experiments
upon the body parts of animals and the corpses of executed criminals.
I say that in our version, this thoroughly-modern Prometheus
wears a frock-coat, some knee-breeches and a pearl earring.
The unit-driver nods and allows this information to sink in for a moment.
He looks me up and down and changes gear, before saying; “you look Italian.”
“By this”, he continues after a pause; “I mean you look like a negro.”
There is silence in the vehicle for a little while.
Snow falls effortlessly on the road in front of us.
And then, smiling like a frightened chimpanzee,
I ask through exposed gums how much further it is
to our intended destination.


Trailer for 'True Horror: Frankenstein'

"It's Alive!"

Herman Munster sings 'Dem Dry Bones'

No comments:

Post a Comment