Thursday, May 7, 2009

Bishop Allen Drive In Cambridge, Massachusetts

These days, the first thing I like to do
when I get an ink stamp on the back of my fist
and walk into darkened venue, is to look around the room and
identify at least one person there who’s older than me.
Or at least one person there who looks as if they’re older than me.
Then I can relax. Then I can start to enjoy myself.
Then I can kickback and begin stomping my feet a little.
I don’t know how old Christian and Justin from Bishop Allen
are, but I do know that they’ve both appeared in low-budget
16-millimetre mumblecore movies made by Andrew Bujalski;
an old friend of theirs and former Harvard University roommate.
Now based in cooler-than-though Brooklyn, these 2 charismatic
afro-beat calypso-cowboy rock-a-hipsters have brought a touch
of the boho vogue with them to Dalston Kingsland this eve.
The joint is jumping. The boudoir is bopping. The kids are all singing along.
At the back, near the booths, someone turns to me
and asks me how I first heard about Bishop Allen.
I don’t lie. I tell them I was introduced to their music by a girl.
The same girl, I tell them, who also re-introduced me to Bukowski.
The same girl, coincidentally, who I found myself
standing behind on the escalator only yesterday.
I didn’t say hello to her, or make my presence known.
I didn’t feel it was appropriate. I kept my head down
while she played absent-mindedly with her hair.

Bishop Allen play ‘Click, Click, Click, Click’ on the streets of NYC

Official website for the movie ‘Funny Ha Ha’

Official website for the movie ‘Mutual Appreciation’

No comments:

Post a Comment