Monday, July 20, 2009

Show Me The Way To The House Of The Nightingales

So I'm driving steadily north, inland,
through steeply wooded surroundings,
following the route once taken by Hannibal and his elephants.
Away from the homogenous hotels, the golf seminars and the Easyjet-setters.
Ascending through dense swathes of cork and pine and evergreen eucalyptus.
Upwards towards the scent of fig and orange and Piri-Piri chicken.
The Four Tops on the hire-car stereo. Diana Ross & The Supremes.
The Isley Brothers, The Marvelettes and blind little Stevie Wonder.
I have my swimmers in the trunk. I have my factor-35.
I have Jimmy Ruffin and The Four Tops.
I have Jnr Walker & The All Stars singing
'How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You' from 1966.
I have the promise of cocktails and a view to die for.

Cabana Dos Rouxinois

No comments:

Post a Comment