Monday, June 5, 2006

Keeping Those Homefires Burning

At the home of the South Place Ethical Society,
in a leafy corner of London's Bloomsbury quarter,
the current "neu-folk" boom
continues to gather its slow-moving moss.
The regulation paper-bracelet
around my right wrist reads; "eatyourownears".
I'm wearing socks. With sandles.
Someone near the front is dressed as a zebra.
Above the perfectly-formed stage hangs the
Shakespearian proverb; "To Thine Own Self Be True".
Refreshments are predominantly
organic, fair-trade and vegan-friendly.
Note to self; there's a reason why drinking
hot tea in a gig environment is not necessarily a good idea.
Sure, it might make you feel all anti-rock 'n roll,
but in a roomful of 500 sweaty people
(some of whom are dancing),
on a balmy summer's eve,
it can also prove to be something of a liability.
I have to loosen my waitcoat
and undoe a couple of buttons on my chequered shirt.
It's also, of course, a diuretic.

No comments:

Post a Comment