Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Dirty-Stop-Out

She tells me she didn’t sleep too well.
I know how precious the night is for her
and her fellow followers of The Path Of The Pollen.
I worry that her visit to the Dreamtime may have been disrupted
by my presence beside her in the fold-down hideaway bed.
But she tells me it wasn’t that. That I wasn’t to blame.
That, infact, I was a very unostentatious sleeper.
That I didn’t snore. Or steal the sheets. Or catch her with any stray elbows.
Apparently, I was very quiet and still all the night through.
So quiet and still infact, that at one point
She felt compelled to put her ear to my chest
to check whether or not I was still drawing breath.
Like mothers do with newborns.
“I only have soya milk”, She says. “That’s okay,” I reply.
“Is Rooibos alright?” She asks. “Rooibos is fine”, I reply.
“Do you have any honey?” I enquire.
“Honey”, She replies; “is not a problem. Honey I have plenty of.”
It’s been a long long time since anyone’s made me a cup of tea in bed.
And let me tell you this; it tastes like sweet hot Manna From Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment